1. I said to Boris, "Does your friend live in London?" 2. I said to the mаn, "Are you living in а hotel?" 3. Nick said to his friend, "Will you stay at the Hilton?" 4. Не said to mе, "Do you often go to see your friends?" 5. Не said to mе, "Will you see your friends before you leave St. Petersburg?" 6. Mike said to Jane, "Will you соmе to the railway station to see mе оff?" 7. She said to mе, "Наvе you sent them а telegram?" 8. She said to mе, "Did you send them а telegram yesterday?" 9. I said to Mike, "Наvе you packed your suit-case?" 10. I said to Kate, "Did anybody meet you at the station?" 11. I said to her, "Саn you give mе their address?" 12. I asked Mоm, "Наvе you had breakfast?"
ТHE ARTICLE: Level B
Plural and uncountable nouns with and without‘the’
flowers/ the flowers, music/the music
A.We don’t use ‘the’ before a noun when we mean something in general:
-I love flowers. (not ‘the flowers’)
(flowers = flowers in general, not a particular group of flowers)
-I’m afraid of dogs.
-Doctors are paid more thanteachers.
We say most people/most dogs etc. (not ‘the most…’)
Most people like summer. (not ‘the most people’)
B.We say ‘the’ when we mean something in particular:
-I like your garden. The flowers are beautiful. (not ‘Flowers are…’)
(the flowers = the flowers in your garden, not flowers in general)
-Children learn a lot from playing. (= children in general)
but: -We took the children to the zoo. (= a particular group of children)
-Salt is used to flavor food.
but: - Can you pass me the salt, please? (= the salt on the table)
C.The difference between something in general and something in particular is not always very clear:
- Do you like coffee? (=coffee in general)
- Do you like strong black coffee? (= not all coffee, but strong black coffee is still a general idea)
but: - Did you like the coffee we had with our meal last night? (= particular coffee)
Hospital/ the hospital, school/ the school
Study the example situation withhospital:
Jack had an accident a few days ago. He had to go to hospital. He is still in hospital now.(= he is ill)Jill went to the hospital to visit him. She is at the hospital now. (= she is in the hospital building)
Someone goes to hospital or is in hospital if he is ill or injured. We are not necessarily thinking of a particular hospital; we are thinking of the idea of hospital.
But Jill is not ill or injured. She is not ‘in hospital’. She went there as a visitor. She went to the particular hospital where Jack is.
Prison school university college church
We say a criminal goesto prison(not ‘to the prison’); a child goes to school; a student goes to university/college. We do not use ‘the’ when we are thinking of the idea of these places and what they are used for:
-After I leave school, I want to go to university (as a pupil/ student)
-Why aren’t the children at school today?(as pupils)
We say ‘be in prison’, but usually ‘be at school/university/college’. ‘Inchurch’ and ‘atchurch’ are both possible.
We use ‘the’ in the following examples:
-Mr. Kelly went to the school to meet his daughter’s teacher. (He didn’t go there as a pupil.)
-Excuse me, where the university, please? (a particular building)
Bed work home
We say ‘go to bed/be in bed’ etc. (not ‘the bed’):
-It’s time to go to bed now.
-Is Tom still in bed?
‘Go to work/be at work/start work/finish work’ etc. (not ‘the work’):
-Why isn’t Ann at work today?
-What time do you finish work?
‘Go home/come home/be at home/stay at home’ etc. (not ‘the home’):
-Let’s go home.
-Will you be at home tomorrow?
There is no preposition with go/come/get/arrive home. (not ‘’to home)
EXERCISE 1. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate article where necessary.
A Geographical names.
1. They travelled by car around ___Europe last month. 2. ___Great American Lakes are ___ Lake Huron, ___ Lake Superior, ___ Lake Ontario, ___ Lake Michigan and ___Lake Erie. 3. ___north of ___ Scotland is known for its wild beauty. 4. Are ___Urals higher or lower than ___Alps? 5. It was Burns who wrote "My heart's in ___Highlands". 6. We get coffee mostly from ___Brazil and ___ Columbia. 7. I went to ___German Republic last summer, but I haven't been to ___Netherlands yet. Of course, I would like to see ___ Hague. 8. What city is the capital of ___ Philippines?
B Proper names.
1. When will he arrive at ___ Heathrow airport? 2. ___British Museum is famous for its library, one of the richest in the world. 3. The English parks are ___ Hyde Park, ___ Kensington Gardens and ___ Kew Gardens where you forget that you are in the big city, struck me most of all. 4. Julius Caesar founded ___ Tower of London. 5. If you like art galleries you should go to ___ National Gallery and ___ Tate. 6. Are you going to stay at ___ St. Marcus Hotel? – No, at ___ Plaza Hotel. 7. If you want to do shopping, go to ___ Oxford Street or ___ Bond Street. 8. My train leaves from ___Waterloo Station at 2.10 a.m.