ТОР 5 статей:
ПРАКТИЧЕСКОЕ ЗАНЯТИЕ 17
Данный лексический материал предназначен для того, чтобы студенты смогли составить высказывание о значении электричества в жизни современного общества.
Задание 1. Выучите следующие слова и словосочетания:
indispensable жизненно необходимый
to ensure обеспечить
reasonable cost разумная цена
primarily в первую очередь
Задание 2. Прочитайте и переведите текст:
Electricity is an integral part of life in the United States. It is indispensable to factories, commercial establishments, homes, and even most recreational facilities. Lack of electricity causes not only inconvenience, but also economic loss due to reduced industrial production. Various aspects of the electric power industry are provided in this overview.
The more than 3,170 traditional electric utilities in the United States are responsible for ensuring an adequate and reliable source of electricity to all consumers in their service territories at a reasonable cost. Electric utilities include investor-owned, publicly owned, cooperatives, and Federal utilities. Power marketers are also considered electric utilities - these entities buy and sell electricity, but usually do not own or operate generation, transmission, or distribution facilities. Utilities are regulated by local, State, and Federal authorities.
Generally, interstate activities (those that cross State lines) are subject to Federal regulation, while intrastate activities are subject to State regulation. Wholesale rates (sales and purchases between electric utilities), licensing of hydroelectric facilities, questions of nuclear safety and high-level nuclear waste disposal, and environmental regulation are Federal concerns. Approval for most plant and transmission line construction and retail rate levels are State regulatory functions.
State public service commissions have jurisdiction primarily over the large, vertically integrated, investor-owned electric utilities that own more than 75 percent of die Nation's generating and transmission capacity and serve about 75 percent of ultimate consumers. There are 239 investor-owned electric utilities, 2,009 publicly owned electric utilities, 912 consumer-owned rural electric cooperatives, and 10 Federal electric utilities. Approximately 20 States regulate cooperatives, and 7 States regulate municipal electric utilities; many State legislatures, however, defer this control to local municipal officials or cooperative members.
Задание 3. Задайте вопросы по содержанию текста:
Задание 4. Дайте ответы на вопросы к тексту:
1. Why is electricity an important part of our life?
2. What is an electric utility?
3. What do they do?
4. Who is responsible for their work?
5. How is the activity of electric utilities organized?
6. What types of electric utilities do you know?
Задание 5. Найдите и исправьте ошибки в следующих предложениях:
1. Interstate activities is subject to Federal regulation.
2. Electric utilities includes investor-owned, publicly owned, cooperatives, and Federal utilities.
3. Lack of electricity cause not only inconvenience, but also economic loss.
4. Electricity – an integral part of life in the United States.
Задание 6. Перечитайте текст и скажите, являются ли данные утверждения истинными или ложными:
1. Approval for most plant and transmission line construction and retail rate levels are local regulatory functions.
2. There are 293 investor-owned electric utilities.
3. High-level nuclear waste disposal and environmental regulation are Federal concerns.
4. Electricity is an integral part of life in the US.
Не нашли, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском: