ТОР 5 статей:
The Present Simple Tense
Exercise№1. Make a sentence paying attention to the word order.
1. is / best / she / friend / my
2. learn / different / students / our / subjects
3. the / is / Russia / the / in / country / the / largest / world
4. the story / much / I / very / like
5. are playing / in the yard / the children / ball
6. large / my / have / in the country / a house / friends
7. they / every Friday / parties / give
8. in / the city / we / a flat / live / the center / of / in
9. a lot of / writes / every day / he / letters
Exercise№2. Put the parts of a sentence in the correct order.
1. to the bank / every Friday / I go
2. around the town / often / I walk
3. on Saturday night / I didn’t see / at the party / you
4. together / chess / every day / Henry and Joy / play
5. yesterday / Peter / some bad mistakes / made / in his Russian test
6. the Turners / last night / saw / at the cinema / we
7. the news / she / every morning / listens to / on the radio
8. in his room / Tom / at seven o’clock / morning exercises / does
9. Pam / alone / in her study / prefers to work / in the morning
10. Came / together / they / to the party / at about 9 o’clock
Exercise№3. Decide whether the underlined words are in right position or not. Correct the sentences which are wrong.
1. I have a good memory for faces but I always forget names.
2. Those tourists probably are American.
3. Tom gets hardly ever angry.
4. I did some shopping and also went to the bank.
5. The baby is very good. She cries seldom during the night.
6. I usually am very tired when I get home from work.
7. I usually have a bath when I get home from work.
Exercise№4. Put down adjectives in the correct order.
1. Ice-cream: strawberry, delicious, French
2. A carpet: Persian, bright, wonderful, silk
3. A girl: young, slim, tall
4. A legend: old, Indian, beautiful
5. A bag: green, ordinary, school
6. A belt: leather, brown, unusual, Italian, new
7. A machine: white, big, German, washing, new
Exercise№5. Translate into English.
1. Мне очень нравится этот французский мягкий увлажняющий крем для рук.
2. Аня любит свой новый красивый шерстяной синий свитер.
3. Она покупает духи редко.
4. Наш поезд прибывает ранним утром в Нижний Новгород.
5. Мы играем в футбол очень часто.
Types of Questions
Exercise№1. Give a short positive answer.
1. Do you know this story?
2. Is your brother twenty?
3. Are you Russian?
4. Does your mother cook well?
5. Have you got any nieces?
6. Do your friends like playing tennis?
7. Is your grandfather a pensioner?
8. Does he have a room of his own?
9. Is the cat sleeping now?
10. Did she win the competition?
Exercise№2. Give a short negative answer.
1. Does he know any foreign languages?
2. Are you a first-year student?
3. Does she have any lessons on Saturday?
4. Is he at school?
5. Do your parents go in for sport?
6. Is this car expensive?
7. Did your sister live in England last year?
8. Are you reading?
9. Are they married?
10. Have you ever been abroad?
Exercise№3. Make general questions to the following sentences.
1. Our teacher knows several foreign languages.
2. He graduated from our University last year.
3. We will go to New York next year.
4. They are working in the garden.
5. You have just read this book.
6. Ann takes this book from her friend.
7. They like playing tennis.
8. Helen has many relatives abroad.
9. They were in many countries.
10. Russia is the largest country in the world.
Exercise№4. Ask your partner the following questions. Don’t forget to answer.
1. Are you a third year student?
2. Are you from Nizhny Novgorod?
3. Do you speak German?
4. Have you ever been abroad?
5. Do you like playing basketball?
6. Did you watch TV yesterday?
7. Is English easy for you?
Exercise№5. Make 5 questions of your own by analogy with those from ex. 4. Ask and answer.
Exercise№6. Put a question tag on the end of each sentence.
1. Ann is on holiday, …………….?
2. You weren’t listening, …………?
3. Sue doesn’t like onions, ………..?
4. You have a cigarette, …………..?
5. You can type, …………………..?
6. This isn’t very interesting, ………?
7. I’m too fat, ………………………?
8. His friend lives in New York, ……?
9. The students leave the University late, ………?
10. Your classes don’t usually begin at 6.30,……..?
Exercise№7. Make tag questions to the following sentences.
1. It takes you long to get home.
2. Harry has a family of his own.
3. You don’t go to bed until midnight.
4. Those girls are sisters.
5. Sam doesn’t arrive at his office early.
Exercise№8. Ask your partner the following questions. Don’t forget to answer.
1. You like sport, don’t you?
2. You don’t watch TV every evening, do you?
3. Football is your favourite sport, isn’t it?
4. You are listening to me at the moment, aren’t you?
5. Winter is the best season, isn’t it?
Exercise№9. Make 5 questions of your own by analogy with those from ex. 8. Ask and answer.
Exercise№10. Make questions to the underlined words.
1. My brother gets up at 6 o’clock in the morning.
2. His office is near the underground station.
3. Sue is 21.
4. Tom has two children.
5. It takes her 15 minutes to have breakfast.
Exercise№11. Ask questions (general, special, tag) about Liz and Ed.
Example: Ed and Liz / be / married? - Are Liz and Ed married? - Yes, they are.
Liz and Ed are married, aren’t they? - Yes, they are.
Where / they / live? - Where do they live? – In Brighton.
1. Where / they / work? - ……………………………………- In a bank.
2. Ed / enjoy his work? - ……………………………………- Yes, he does.
3. They / go out very often? - …………………………… – No, not very often.
4. They / have a car? - …………………………………... – Yes, they do.
5. What kind of car/ they / have? - ……………………… - Ford.
6. When / they / buy it? - …………………………………- A year ago.
7. They / go on holiday next summer? - …………………. - Yes, they are.
8. Where / they go? - …………………………………….. – To Scotland.
Exercise№12. Make questions to the underlined words. Pay attention whether this word is a subject or an object.
Example: Mark has a room of his own. – Who has a room of his own?
Mark has a room of his own. – What does Mark have?
1. Jack knows the answer to this question.
2. My Mum makes delicious cakes.
3. The key is in her bag.
4. Nick’s cousin has got an interesting job.
5. His friends are fond of sports.
6. I have a letter for you.
7. Luke always does his homework in time.
8. Luke always does his homework in time.
9. The black bag is more expensive.
10. The work is very hard.
Exercise№13. Ask your partner the following questions. Don’t forget to answer.
1. What is your name?
2. How old are you?
3. What do you do?
4. What year are you in?
5. What sport do you prefer?
6. Where are you from?
Exercise№14. Think of your own questions for your groupmates.
Exercise№15. Make alternative questions using these statements.
Example: They like to go to the cinema, not to concerts. - Do they like to go to the cinema or to the concerts?
1. He has a very interesting book, not his friend.
2. They are in Spain now, not in France.
3. My Dad reads newspapers in the evenings, not in the morning.
4. Jane likes oranges, not apples.
5. Helen is their cousin, not their niece.
6. They are fond of tennis, not volleyball.
Exercise№16. Ask your partner the following questions. Don’t forget to answer.
1. Do you have a brother or a sister?
2. Do you prefer Mathematics or Biology?
3. Are you fond of football or gymnastics?
4. Is your family big or small?
5. Do you like winter or summer?
Exercise№17. Make 5 questions of your own by analogy with those from ex. 16. Ask and answer.
Exercise№18. Read the text. Make 10 questions of different types. Be ready to answer.
One Man in a Boat
Fishing is my favourite sport. I often fish for hours but I don’t catch anything. This doesn’t worry me. Some fishermen are unlucky. Instead of catching fish, they catch old boots and rubbish. I am even less lucky. I never catch anything. I usually spend whole mornings on the river, and then I always go home with an empty bag.
“You must give up fishing!” my friends say. “It’s a waste of time.” But they don’t realize one important thing. I’m not really fond of fishing. I just like to sit in a boat and do nothing at all.
empty - пустой
give up – бросить, перестать что-то делать
a waste of time– пустая трата времени
Verb to Be
Exercise№1. Fill the gaps using to be in Present, Past or Future Simple according to the meaning.
1. Now I …eighteen years old. Last year I …seventeen.
2. Peter …a freshman now.
3. We …never late for classes.
4. Yesterday several students …absent from the lecture. Today all…present.
5. The first class next Monday…Maths.
6. There…an interesting programme on TV tonight.
7. Our teacher of English…ill last week.
8. It…time to have a break. We…tired.
9. Sue…at the concert tomorrow.
10. You’ve got a five. You…lucky!
Exercise№2. Open the brackets.
1. (to be) students usually on holidays in February?
2. The Browns (not/to be) present at the party next week. They (to be) abroad.
3. Where (to be) you yesterday? – I (to be) at the cinema.
4. My sister (not/to be) at home now. She (to be) at work.
5. I (not/to be) tired. I (to be) ready to continue working.
Exercise№3. Fill the gaps using to be in Present, Past or Future Simple according to the meaning.
Ronald Wood … a managing director of the First Bank of Kingsville. He … always on a business trip. Yesterday he … in Geneva. Tomorrow he … in London. Last week he … in Chicago. Next week he … in New Orleans. At the moment he … in Amsterdam. In two hours he … in the Hague. Three days ago he … in Paris. At the end of his trip he … usually very tired but happy. He … with his family now. His sons … so much excited. Everybody in the family … very glad to see him at home again.
Exercise№4. Make 5 questions of different types to the text from ex. 3.
The Present Simple Tense
Exercise№1. Decide on the usage of The Present Simple Tense. Is it :
a) repeated action,
b) general truths and laws of nature,
1. The moon goes round the earth.
2. I live in Nizhny Novgorod.
3. The plane to London takes off at 7.20 a.m.
4. I often go to the University by bus.
5. I usually go to the cinema at the weekend.
6. She works at the bank.
7. This shop opens at 8.00.
8. Rice doesn’t grow on trees.
9. The postman brings us the newspaper in the morning.
10. Water boils at 100°C.
Exercise№2. Complete the sentences.
My name 1)… (be) Doug Winston. I 2)… (live) in New York with my parents. We 3) … ( live) in a large apartment in an old building.
My mother and father both 4) ... (work). My mother 5) … (be) a writer. She 6) … (write) stories for magazines. She 7) … (not/have) an office. She 8) … (work) at home. My father 9) … (be) a businessman. He 10) … (import) watches and 11) … (sell) them to stores.
I 12) … (be) fifteen years old and in my second year of high school. I 13) … (be) the captain of a soccer team at my school. I 14) … (love) soccer. I 15) … (practice) it every day. I 16) … (have) two older sisters, Carol and Norma. I 17) … (not/have) any brothers. Carol 18) …(live) in Oregon, and Norma 19) … (live) in Boston.
I 20) … (be) thin. I 21) … (have) dark hair and green eyes. Carol 22) … (have) dark hair and green eyes too. She 23) … (not/be) a serious student, but she 24) … (have) a lot of friends. Norma 25) … (have) dark hair, but she 26) … (not/have) green eyes. Her eyes 27) … (be) brown. She 28) … (be) a good Spanish teacher, but I 29) … (be) glad she 30)…(not/be) my teacher. She 31) … (give) her students a lot of homework.
Exercise№3. Choose the sentences that are true for you.
Compare your sentences with a partner. In what ways are you and your partner alike/different? Write five sentences about you and your partner.
Examples: We both eat breakfast every day.
He speaks English after class, but I don’t.
Exercise№4. Open the brackets and match animals with their descriptions.
1. This animal (be) like a horse. It (have) black and white stripes.
2. This animal (be) poisonous. It (not/have) legs and arms. It (crawl).
3. This animal (be) big and grey. It (have) a trunk. It (live) in India.
4. This animal (live) in Australia. It (carry) its baby in its pouch. It (hop) from place to place.
5. This animal (be) very big. It (live) in the water, but (not/be) a fish. It (have) a lot of fat under its skin. It (use) its tail for swimming.
6. This animal (love) to climb and swing from tree to tree. It (have) a long tail. It (eat) bananas and peanuts. It (clap) its hands and (perform) for people.
7. This animal (be) a bird. It (live) in a tropical climate. It (have) long legs and a long neck. It (have) pink feathers. It (eat) insects, fish, and mud.
8. This animal (live) in the desert. It (hold) water in its body for days. It (have) a hump on its back. It (walk) long distances. It (not/be) a smart animal.
Exercise№5. Complete the questions. Use do, does, is, or are. Then give short answers.
1. Is Canada north of the USA? – Yes, it is.
2. Does Canada have a king? – No, it doesn’t.
3. ____ Canada have ten provinces? – Yes, ___.
4. ____ Mexico north of Texas? – No, ___.
5. ____ Brazilians speak Spanish? – No, ___.
6. ____ Japan have a lot of oil? – No, ___.
7. ____ Japan import a lot of oil? – Yes, ___.
8. ____ Oregon in the northwest of the United States? – Yes, ___.
9. ____ Oregon have a lot of wood? – Yes, ___.
10.____ Saudi Arabia have a lot of oil? – Yes, ___.
11.____ Saudi Arabia in Africa? – No, ___.
12.____ the American flag have fifty stars? – Yes, ___.
13.____ the British flag red, white and green? – No, ___.
14.____ most people in the UK work on Saturday and Sunday? – No, ___.
Exercise№6. Work with a partner. You want to find a roommate. Complete a questionnaire. Then ask your partner the questions. Compare your answers.
1. Do you smoke?
2. Is it OK if your roommate smokes?
3. Do you wake up early?
4. Do you like to go to bed after midnight?
5. Are you neat?
6. Are you messy?
7. Are you quiet?
8. Are you talkative?
9. Do you listen to loud music?
10. Do you watch a lot of TV?
11. Do you study and listen to music at the same time?
12. Do you study with the TV on?
13. Do you like classical music?
14. Do you like heavy metal?
15. Do you enjoy sports?
How many of your answers are the same as your partner’s? Could you share an apartment?
Exercise№7. Label the subject (S) and the object (O) in each sentence. Write one question about S and one question about O. Then give short answers.
1. On Sunday afternoon, Pete calls Lulu in Florida.
Who calls Lulu in Florida on Sunday afternoon? (Pete does)
Who does Pete call on Sunday afternoon? (Lulu)
2. Lulu visits Bertha almost every afternoon.
3. Sue meets her friend every Tuesday evening.
4. Pete helps Sue with shopping.
5. Doug and Dino meet Noah and Jeff every morning before school.
Exercise№8. Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of the verb, pay attention to the word order.
1. Lulu (be, often) – is often early. She (wait, usually) – usually waits for other people.
2. Pete (be, often) late. He (get, rarely) to work on time.
3. Sue (be, usually) on time. She (come, rarely) late.
4. Norma (take, often) the bus to work. She (get, seldom) a seat. She (stand, almost always)
5. Pam and Carol (walk, usually) to school. They (arrive, usually) on time.
Exercise№9. Make negative forms of the following sentences and put general and special questions to them. Use words in brackets.
1. Ann watches television every day. (How often?)
2. Tom works at a hotel. (Where?)
3. People do stupid things. (Why?)
4. Julia likes pop-music. (What?)
5. Peter often runs with his dog. (Who?)
Не нашли, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском: